The family structure was instituted by God to facilitate the purpose He gave mankind upon creation to ‘fill and subdue’ the earth. Both the Old and New Testaments have built on this institution for the passing of God’s ways on to the next generation. “Family’ terminology is used throughout the teaching of the church, so the family unit is considered to be key in God’s plan.
Scriptural Standards for Family…
- parents are to pass on God’s ways (Deuteronomy 6:4-9)
- we’re commanded to train up our children (Proverbs 22:6)
- the ‘father’ has the key role (Ephesians 6:4)
- obedient ‘disciples’- believers - are our true ‘family’ (Matthew 12:46-49)
- the whole church family’s priority for the next generation (Psalms 78:1-8)
- the bad consequences of not passing on God’s ways (Judges 2:10)